Sunday, August 16, 2009

What Is Lost, Can Be Found

Rewind a couple years back. I was kayaking in the Sea of Cortez in Mexico, was overturned, and while bracing to hit the ocean bottom, lost my wedding ring. For our 10th anniversary, we had this ring made and I loved it. I called Jason from Mexico crying...by the time I told him what happened, he was just relieved I wasn't in a jail cell rotting. He was calm as could be and told me, 'it's only a material thing, as long as you're safe, that's all that matters.'
Fast forward...Aug/09
Jason had to go work in L.A. for a week and it was over my birthday. He asked me to come out and spend my birthday with him and pick out a new wedding ring from the same jeweler we always use. I was ecstatic! And then I saw our hotel. Remember from a previous post how I said while in California, I do not like to stay in big hotels due to my fear of earthquakes? Jason told me before he left, that we would be in a smaller hotel. I think it was the first time in our marriage he justified lying to me. His response when I saw it...'well, it's smaller than the other buildings.' He booked us at the Hilton...top floor.



This was our view from our hotel room...

The first thing we do, is go to the jewelry district. I will never purchase a good piece of jewelry anywhere else. Prices for quality almost feels like I'm committing a crime. One ring I tried on was 3 karats, and he asked $1300 for it. CRAZY. I had my choices down to 2 wedding rings and couldn't decide. Then, the jeweler pulls something out, obviously planned....it was MY ring, the one I lost, re-made. I felt the same as when I was in school, and would lose something important. I would go to the lost and found, and upon finding my lost treasure, relief would flood over me. Needless to say, my choice was made, SOLD. Kind of sad we paid twice for the same ring, BUT even though it is material, there was great meaning behind it. And here it be...

While walking downtown, it was a pleasant surprise to see the changes there. It used to be a place where people really only went to work. Now it's turning more into a New York style with more and more people living there and developing the area.
I took these pictures for two reasons...


One of which is part of our retirement, and second, if you think your HOA's are bad, take a gander...

Later, we went as a family to dinner.



My kids LOVE the city...

But love the pool more..


The pool is at the top of the hotel. A little eerie when the businessmen had their binoculars shining down, but, whatever...I'd be doing the same EXACT thing.





Lying in the hotel bed that night, I kept waking up...'what if there's an earthquake'...and then I'd plan it out in my head. Then I'd admire the city, then...'what if there's an earthquake?' I'd re-evaluate and revise my safety plan.
But I awoke at around 3 am and was at peace. The picture below was looking through my eyes from my bed. I started counting floors instead of sheep, listened to cars and sirens instead of crickets. I've come a long way since the midwest. I like to think I am balanced between the city and country...but my lifestyle is definitely city. I love growth, diversity, endless activities, and the feeling that I can become anything my dreams desire. My music posting was what I was listening to on my ipod and described EXACTLY everything I was feeling.
Other random things I miss about L.A. ...

Dummy models in the fasion district that actually have butts. Definitely fit the Latina (and me) demographics.


LOVE, LOVE the prices in fashion district.
And another thing I forgot...

...how much I actually enjoy people putting corny junk on their car, for entertainment purposes while sitting in traffic.

We were able to visit the Thompson's, Hoeke's and Lin's.
Sorry for not having pics of eveyone, but I had to steal these off Brynna's camera, and most were blurry.
My Peanut Butter frosting cake. :)


Birthday Clowns.

Kids that won't share cake. (AKA Josh)

Nanc

For some reason, this looks like a surrogate mother family photo...but no, it's just some white people holding an asian baby.


While at home, I was treated well. My friends do a wonderful job of always remembering and making me feel special.



She knows what I love...accessory rings!!

Sorry, Suzanne...you didn't pose with me. :(

And to my amazing R.S. Presidency...you are truly my sisters. I love what we experience together...the laughs, hardships, joys, and especially the unity.
UPDATE...Jason is back on the crappy birthday list. After ALL that, on my actual Birthday, he forgot to tell me 'Happy Birthday.' So to all those who were like...'ahhhhh, what an amazing man, he's so wonderful'....yep, although he is, he is yet still a man.

10 comments:

Tiffani Mills said...

Wow! How romantic of Jason to get the same ring made!- Cam needs some lessons- haha! Looks like a cool trip and way awesome hotel and pool! Fun

The Williamses said...

I can understand how you felt about the ring! I thought I lost mine in the parking lot at Mission Beach, it was lost for like 2 weeks--I was absolutely devastated and sobbing and depressed-- and then miraculously it showed up in an impossible place... it was almost better than when I first received it (sorry Aaron)

Major props to Jason for recreating your ring!!

Stephanie said...

I am glad you had a fabulous birthday week. I would have died in the elevator to your room. I have a hard time on the 5th floor.

Also, love the plunging neckline on your swimming suit, very sexy.

P.S. You need to update your "about me" on your blog.

Cami said...

How fun!! The ring thing sounded just like it was out of the movies! What a gorgeous ring Jen!

I am way scared of earthquakes too and any time we are in CA I think about them constantly!

You are such an amazing person and I'm glad you had such a fun birthday.

Dandi said...

You've got quite a romantic, thoughtful husband there! What an adventure you've had! I had no idea it was even your birthday, but if I had, I'd have spent hundreds of dollars on you. Oh-well, there's always next year!

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

Glad you had a great birthday. I was thinking about you and really wished I could have gone out to dinner with you! In 10 years, when I'm living in the "country or mountains", you can bring me all the "fashionables" and keep me looking decent and I'll show you all the stars you are missing out on each night. :)

I loved your posts on Rob's facebook. I was laughing so hard.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OK... Apparently there was some sort of "talk roster" at the church... it was stolen and returned... my name was thrown in there somehow, THOUGH I AM TOTALLY INNOCENT, and next thing I know I'm speaking in church on Sunday. I totally got the bum end of this deal that I WASN'T EVEN INVOLVED IN!

PS: Happy Birthday!

PPS: Can I get the name of your jeweler?!

Anonymous said...

PPPS: What exactly is "kajacking?" It sounds dangerous. Or maybe like something you should talk to your bishop about. I'm just sayin.


(Oh, I kid. I kid, cuz I love!)
;)

Brooke said...

Loved this post...your ring, descriptions, pictures....wow! I'm glad you had such a great trip and birthday, you deserve it!! You look great!!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive