Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight @ Midnight


Fat girl in a little coat. (Inside 'Tommy Boy' joke.)

To all you wusses out there---if Barbara can hack a midnight showing, what's YOUR excuse?


***Spoiler Alert***


I know you are all dying to get my review. Yes, like other women of all ages, I was captivated and suckered in by Twilight. I read every book in a day or two; neglecting my family, except for throwing them a few crackers here and there to sustain life. I knew I would see the movie and leave slightly if not horribly disappointed, yet couldn't help myself.

First, I will give my dislikes. I think I would have been embarrassed going with someone who hasn't read the books. I know they would have looked at me and said, "THIS is what the hype is all about?" Steph said it was like comparing a high school play to broadway. She was absolutely right. Although cute and sweet....the special effects were lacking something fierce. I thought they drug out Edward and Bella's quiet 'laying in the meadow doing nothing' parts and rushed the final (crucial to future story) scenes. I know it was important to build the story and characters, but come on, someone wake me up. For Edward to have a body as smooth as stone, he was sporting some serious chest hair. Still, he was beautiful and as the movie developed, became endearing, and had me wanting more. I have to say the casting was brilliant. I thought this would be the biggest turn off for me, but ended up being what I loved most. The actors who portrayed the characters is what saved this movie, along with the scenery. From Edward to Charlie to Billy, I easily believed that's who they were.


Would I do it all over again? The answer is yes. I had a great time and nothing beats going with other crazed fans. I banned Ultra Star and am forever with Harkins. Thankfully, I had some friends who ditched it as well. I think the two hours of waiting was more entertaining than the movie itself.


FINAL THOUGHT:

When I was younger, I used the excuse not to read because I figured it would be made into a movie anyway and I would spend less time watching a movie than reading a book. BUT--One thing I have learned over the years dealing with books to movies is no matter how good a movie can be, nothing can surpass what we create with the power of our imagination.

10 comments:

Joey and Megan said...

I agree with everything. (And Barbara was the life of the party.) I didn't like the way the cast looked in the previews but was really happy with them in the movie.

One final thought: Motherhood stops for nothing, not even when you're really tired because you only got a few hours sleep. We're off to the doctor with a sick kid :( So much for my nap.

Cami said...

I didn't read your spoiler, I won't be seeing it until next week. I loved the pictures! I was so pleasantly surprised to see Tanner and Stetson there (they have sure grown!). Looks like a FUN night!

Dandi said...

Ditto Ditto Ditto!!! I did really enjoy it but I think it's because I loved the books so much. They needed a new director, different music, and the special effects were a bit cheesy to me! But.........I still loved it because of the story! That's my take. Plus, staying up all night with a bunch of girls is so fun!!!

Rachel and Gavin said...

It couldn't have been said better. (seriously girl, you are a good writer!) Anywhoo, thanks for posting the "fat" girl! I think she's "adorable" (not "hot")haha. I may just steal that sweater from Caity.

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

I'm excited to see it tonight, but I'm glad I was warned so that I won't be too disappointed.

As for our one theater here in Enid, OK, I just hope the sound will work.:)

Stephanie said...

I like how in the first photo several of us look like non-vegetarian vampires. I had a great time. I was glad I decided last minute to go. The girl time before the movie was super fun. I had some interesting conversations and saw some interesting hairdos. What a thrill to have Victoria from the movie at our theater!:) I think we were all a little giddy with it being so late and "Twilighty". Barabara is the best, I agree.

Oh, and I did enjoy the movie too.

Colemans said...

I'll be sleeping at midnight, thank you. I'll wait until I can order it on pay-per-view and fall asleep watching it in bed...

Lori said...

I pretty much just copied your review. Oops! Not intentional, I promise.

Tiffani Mills said...

Haha- yes Edward needs to wax his chest to make it right. I'm with you too that the actors/actresses turned out much better than I thought- they did good jobs.

Carca said...

Yes, I agree that the casting was right on target!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive