Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What Time Is It? It's MY Time.















One phrase I hear frequently regarding when things happen is 'things happen in God's time.'  Individuals wait as they pray for answers, have desires to be met and someone will drop the phrase, 'it's just not the Lord's time yet...He'll provide when He's ready.'   More and more I begin to disagree with that phrase the more knowledge I gain of being in those situations which warrant  answers.

David A. Bednar gave an amazing talk which has changed my perspective entitled 'The Spirit of Revelation' in which he speaks of light and receiving answers:

"I invite you to consider two experiences most of us have had with light.
The first experience occurred as we entered a dark room and turned on a light switch. Remember how in an instant a bright flood of illumination filled the room and caused the darkness to disappear. What previously had been unseen and uncertain became clear and recognizable. This experience was characterized by immediate and intense recognition of light.
The second experience took place as we watched night turn into morning. Do you recall the slow and almost imperceptible increase in light on the horizon? In contrast to turning on a light in a dark room, the light from the rising sun did not immediately burst forth. Rather, gradually and steadily the intensity of the light increased, and the darkness of night was replaced by the radiance of morning. Eventually, the sun did dawn over the skyline. But the visual evidence of the sun’s impending arrival was apparent hours before the sun actually appeared over the horizon. This experience was characterized by subtle and gradual discernment of light."
  I've had times in my life when answers came like a light switch but more often came very gradually.  In some of those gradual instances I had heard from others: 'the Lord will tell you in His time' which left me thinking I guess I'll wait until high noon on His watch.  I'll just hang out until He's ready.

Yet, I've experienced this on the other side.  There are times I get frustrated because I've received answers like a light switch where others haven't.  It came with ease to me, why can't it be the same for them?  As I express my frustration I'll inevitably hear, 'They'll know in God's time.'  So here I am, sitting and waiting on them until God decides it's time.

Then one evening, this symbolism of light became crystal clear.  I was walking around my house at 2 a.m. and as I hunted for and turned on the light switch I was in immediate pain.  My eyes couldn't handle it, I wasn't prepared for it and I immediately had to turn off the switch for relief.  I found the next light which was dimmer, it still hurt, but I could at least open one eye. It's not always that drastic in the middle of the night but that particular night I swear my eyes had been crusted shut. Then like a light switch, David Bednar's talk came to mind and it all came together.

 I wondered how many times I had prayed for something I wasn't prepared for.   I immediately knew if God would've answered me right away in those instances where I was in complete darkness I would've ultimately had to shield my eyes or turn off the switch due to the light of information being too drastic.  I would've received that knowledge or answer I had been searching for but had to turn away because I simply wasn't prepared and ready to receive it.  That accountability would've forever rested upon my shoulders...such is the case in others I wait for as they come to gain knowledge for themselves.
  
God is so loving towards us.  He knows us more than we know ourselves and desires us to be successful with the light and knowledge He gives us.  He is not going to give us something that will be detrimental to our progression.  He knows us, our hearts, and knows when our eyes can see with clarity.

My perspective has changed drastically in my patience level now as I wait for the light of day either for myself or others.  I now realize there are many hours to work in preparation for noon. Each minute and second are vital and build on each other.  Those answers come based solely on each of us and come to fruition not only when we are ready to receive those answers but also when we are adjusted enough to the light to act on them.  

 I've come to see it isn't about the Lord's timing at all...it's about being the 'right time.'  Saying 'the Lord's time' creates in my mind almost as if He's holding back from us until He deems fit, which could cause resentment. That isn't the case.  As I look back on my life and when answers came, in every case they came at the right time.  God knew when I was prepared and ready, He knew when it was my time.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Dandi said...

Love it. I've had an experience lately that relates to this a lot. I'm grateful for your insight. Thanks.

Stephanie said...

beautifully said.

nelly said...

I like that. So true.

Talialisa said...

I had a bishop once tell me that it was always the Lord's time...I didn't get it then, but your post helped me understand his comment. I love that the Lord is always ready to answer us, he is just waiting until we are ready...we are prepared. wow! your post was an answer I have been searching for this past week. Thanks!

Ammanda said...

Great insight - thanks for sharing it.

Richard Alger said...

+1

Anonymous said...

hello Jen,

your blog is great. i love the picture of the hands in your port "capable hands" and would like to use it for some marketing purposes, since my company is in the field of the elder care.

i would appereciate if you give me some information at my personal email: carlosd426@gmail.com

thank in advance.
best wishes

*

..

Map

Blog Archive