Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Life: It's The Little Things...Like Sweet Revenge







I had several inquiries regarding my latest Facebook post.  Worse, is that I think many didn't understand it is, in fact, a joke and now feel my kid's school principal is off her rocker. While that may be the case, it's not because of this (me).

Some people enjoy antique cars, collecting butterflies, or sewing as hobbies to bring happiness to their lives.  My hobby is pranks.  Pranks make me happy.  Something about plotting late at night keeps my mind in pristine condition.  As a side note, you should feel quite honored if I ever pull one over on you, because I do take time and effort in doing so.

I was at an awards ceremony a couple weeks ago.  Ms. Honne came to me saying she wanted to relay a story about Nathan.  Usually these don't end well, but she assured me it was funny.

A few weeks ago, Nathan's class won the McTeacher night challenge of being the class with the largest amount of students from one class to attend McDonald's for a school fundraiser.  As a reward, the class gets to throw pies at either the Principal or Assistant Principal.  Ms. Honne entered the class and was coaxing the children to throw pies at her counter part.  Nathan told her he had full intention of throwing a pie at her.  She then threatened him with an infraction.  And Nathan, being a chip off the ol' block, doesn't back down from a challenge and therefore threatened her right back by affirming, "My mom can fire you!"

As she's telling me this and others were around, I was mortified.  Sure, he's witty, and meant to be funny,but it struck a nerve.  As a board member we cannot simply fire anyone we want.  In fact, the Superintendent is the only employee whom we can, and even then it has to be by a majority vote.  I was embarrassed because there are board members (no matter where you go) that feel it is quite appropriate to threaten staff.  Especially at my kids' schools, I want staff to see and know me as 'Mom' and not 'board member'.  I'm extremely sensitive to it and don't ever want others to feel I am looking over their shoulders. I'm the same person I was 4 years ago, being a board member doesn't change my personality or my values.
Before I was made aware of this situation I had found it odd that one particular day while volunteering in the classroom I had multiple questions from students regarding if I was the principal's boss.  It all finally clicked.

The next day, I had to have a sit down strict talk and rehearse to Nathan my role and I did so complete with diagrams.  He seemed a bit bummed.  I also found out Ms. Honne felt bad about getting Nathan in trouble, so she found him and apologized.

In relating the scenario to the teacher, she made me aware she knew all about it and to not take it so personally.  She informed me Ms. Honne never meant for me to feel bad, get Nathan in trouble and is one of the most sarcastic people I'd ever meet who loves to also prank people.  Whaaa?  I would've never guessed...she seems so serious, and apparently some feel the same regarding me.  I found out there are people scared of me.  I know, right?  I'm the single most nicest and hilarious person you'd ever meet!   So, I decided to let my hair down and show my true self.

As I left the school that day, I decided to ask the front secretary for a piece of paper so I could write Ms. Honne a note.  It went like this:

Ms. Honne,

I saw that nasty look you gave me when I walked in the cafeteria today.  Just know I have my eye on you and that I CAN fire you.

With Love,
Jen Tanner

As I beamed with pride leaving and walking out to the parking lot, it suddenly crossed my mind I had just left a threatening letter IN WRITING.  Idiot!! I didn't think that one through. I knew I was doomed for sure.

I heard nothing for days, and then opened my mail yesterday to receive this letter:



   I have to give her kudos, for a brief second I took it seriously.  She one upped me!!!
Well played Ms. Honne, well played.
So, with every great prank, comes the next step.  My next step is a restraining order:


Now I'm waiting to talk to (bribe) my neighbor cop to have him show up to deliver it. This makes me happy.  This is what life's all about.

So, who's next?
Photobucket

2 comments:

Dandi said...

You are pretty much my hero! You definitely go the second mile on things.

Stephanie said...

I don't even know what to say, I am laughing so hard!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive