Sunday, April 1, 2012

Capable Hands



This entry isn't a rant or meant to be preachy or even sarcastic. I've written this as a reminder on those days when I'm feeling bored, being unproductive, or feel God is a distant Being completely tuned out to who we are as individuals.  
 I have a friend of whom I visit often.  I've known her roughly ten years.  She is a few decades older than me, has much to complain about, and is a complete pessimist.  We didn't start out as friends. I came to know her through a mutual acquaintance.  I remember in the beginning being intimidated by her.  She has no problem telling someone off to their face. I can appear tough or that I always have a comeback, but especially with my elders I've been trained to shut up and take it like a man so I feared I'd be left torn to shreds with her sharp as knives words.  She's very opinionated and can make you feel two inches tall if you disagree with her.  Yet, over time I've broken her down and she takes it when I laugh at her while she's complaining and I'll tell her to 'suck it up' when she's being a pessimist.  She's even called me for advice on occasion.  She actually appreciates my sarcasm and opinions and I've come to find myself more comfortable around her than I am with most. She suffers from a myriad of health issues and is home bound about ninety percent of the time, therefore she also suffers from depression and is addicted to pain medication.  
Her husband came to me a few months ago concerned for her behalf.  Because she is home bound, she doesn't make it to church and does not consistently read scriptures or other church doctrinal books therefore her testimony has become unsteady on some basic gospel principles.  After listening intently, my mind instantly knew I needed to really pray for her.  So in my prayers I would pray that Heavenly Father would help give her a desire to study so her knowledge and faith would increase.  And that seemed sufficient.
In my own personal studies I have been reading Daughters In My Kingdom.  Seriously, one of my favorite inspirational books of all time.  It teaches of the history and work of the Relief Society Organization.  When I read of these women, I am inspired to do more and be more than who I am.  I watched this video from the website and between it and reading the book I am a changed woman.   I realized in my prayers, especially for my friend, I was putting everything on God's shoulders to do all the work failing to realize I could and needed to help assist Him in doing so.  
That night my prayers changed.
Instead of asking Him to give her a desire to change, I asked how I could help Him to help her.  After praying, I sat quietly thinking about my question and at that moment three words came to my mind along with a complete feeling of peace in my heart.  The words were:  "Read with her."  
When I approached her about it, I wondered if it would be awkward.  I didn't tell her of the the personal experience I had, just that I felt it was something we both needed.  Not only did she accept, but did so with so much enthusiasm that at that moment I had confirmation that I had done the exact thing I was supposed to be doing in that moment.
And so we now meet twice a month and study topics we assign to each other.  
Not only is both of our faith and knowledge increasing, but our friendship continues to strengthen and I just love this woman with every fiber of my being.  What a difference a few words made in a prayer for two lives.

I post this because I am thankful that an all powerful and knowing God has given me, a weak human being with oceans full of faults, capable hands to assist Him in His work here upon the Earth. What an honor we have been given if we only ask. I am thankful for an answer to a more thought out and sincere prayer and the inspiration from others' examples to realize my potential is more than I give myself credit for.  
Photobucket

2 comments:

Talialisa said...

Thankyou Jen. I love the simpleness of the answer...which is so the way with the Lord. Thank you for sharing.

Stephanie said...

Happiness! The Lord works amazing things through us if we are willing and looking. You're a great example. :)

*

..

Map

Blog Archive