Friday, September 30, 2011

Home Transformation: Stage 2

Next phase:  Dining Room.

Before:






After:




Do you have any idea how hard it is to find an 8 seated formal black dining set (that I could afford)?  I am so tired of looking for furniture that to think of walking in another store makes me want to gag.  I literally went across the entire valley.  Most of the black tables I had seen came in a dinette...4 or 6 seater, but I really wanted to have a big enough table to fit more people and have the extended leafs to be able to fit the size of the room.  I would see ads and the tables looked great in the pictures but upon going to the store I would come to find the wood and quality was junk.  So, eventually I did the unthinkable for me...I ordered out of a catalog. You have no idea how stressful this was for me.  I was buying something I'd never physically touched or felt the quality of.  I took note of the brand that I had consistently seen quality in while shopping and found the table through their catalog.  After waiting a couple months due to being back ordered, it came.  We nervously opened the boxes and blew out a sigh of relief when I saw it.  It was exactly how I imagined and the quality is fantastic.  
  

Now I know what you're thinking...white?!? Where is her mind? Yes, I AM crazy.  I've scotch guarded the heck out of them and have bought every high quality stain clean up product I could find.  Will it prevent it?  No.  I have threatened the kids and Jason with their lives, but have realized it will most definitely be ME who makes the first food drop or soda dribble.  Nathan lays down a towel over the seat before eating, even he knows himself too well.  Why did I do it?  I wanted it all to flow with the kitchen, paint, shutters, etc.  I wanted black and white so if I wanted a change of the decor I could throw a color centerpiece into the mix to change it up once in awhile.  Speaking of which, I'm trying to find the perfect centerpiece so if you have ideas...please send them my way.  I figure if the chairs ever get to a point where they look too unsightly, I know how to reupholster and I will do that at minimum cost.

Other than the table, we repainted the walls, took down the drapery and the ceiling fan.  I found the chandelier in bronze and marble, so I left the marble and painted the rest black.

My biggest love of all is my rug. To me, it is the highlight and adds so much.  I knew with the style of a modern table I would need to soften it up, therefore I wanted more of a romantic light and rug.  





2 rooms down...lots more to go. 

Photobucket

4 comments:

Jennifer Shorr said...

Looks awesome! :) Good job. BTW: My kids are dancing behind me to your blog music. :D

Cami said...

GORGEOUS!! I love the colors and the lines of everything! That rug is to die for.

Way to go Jen!

Dandi said...

I don't know, it looked pretty good before....whahahaha! You did an amazing job. Yes, that rug is beautiful.

Adam and Anya said...

Wonderful! I love the painted cabinets too- I've been hoping to do that project in our home...not sure what color. As far as the white seats... I just read in a decorating magazine that white seats are really in right now (and despite any little spills or stains...they just add character to the home). Way to go! It really looks amazing...can't wait to see it in person.

*

..

Map

Blog Archive