Sunday, June 29, 2008

Welcome to San Francisco

Whew! We made it just in time for the gay pride parade day! Okay, could this be any better timing for the Tanner get away? Our luck usually runs like this. We seem to make Disneyland's Gay Day every year as well.

Jason had to go to San Francisco for work. So, I had a couple days solo during the day (to shop, read, sleep in, etc.) and he took a few extra days for us to hang out.

Jason booked us at a small quaint hotel. He wanted the Hyatt, but I wasn't fond of so many floors. I am too earthquake conscience. The Hotel Griffon was beautiful. It has been around over a hundred years and I love places that have a touch of history. This picture of the Bay Bridge was our view from the hotel.






I have riden more public transportation in four days than I have in my entire life. We went from an airplane to a bus, the BART train, trolleys, taxi cabs, and Lincoln town limos. This picture is of the first day...I think after day four, I wasn't smiling anymore. I was so excited to get back home and drive my own car! It was definitely an experience though. The BART reminded me of a bad movie. I was either waiting to get mugged or shot. And when we were underground it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. But, definitely fascinating.

I was just as fearful of death with our cab driver. I am sure I had some whiplash. I think Jason sensed my apprehension after the first day and made sure the hotel set me up to take me wherever needed in the Lincoln. What a guy! But he definitely owed me. Our first night we went with some of his friends to a seafood mexican restaurant he loves right off the pier. He neglected to tell me that for some reason birds just fly randomly in the restaurant and will often land on tables, or sometimes people's shoulders. Surely this had to be breaking some health codes. I was dying! I couldn't even enjoy my food without jumping. I am sitting there looking at the guys, and they are just enjoying their food having a great time. Later, I told Jason, I will be picking the restaurants. He did manage to redeem himself. We ate at some fabulous places. Oh, how I have missed authentic Japanese!
We were so anxious to get to the cooler weather. To our amazement, the temperature where we were never exceeded 60 degrees. It was almost too dramatic of a drop. The air off the bay was so cold it felt like 45. While I was packing, it was hard enough to throw in long sleeve shirts because of the heat here, but a winter coat? Holy cow...I have turned into a wimp! I can definitely say I have acclamated to the heat.

Okay...so how Jason and I operate, we take pictures that no one else finds interesting because they are all inside jokes to us that no one understands. Sometimes they are of random people that crack us up (we have a great one of a guy that looks just like Richard Alger in a totally inappropiate shirt), or situations we somehow find ourselves in that are just too good to pass up. Therefore, not many pictures to post. I know it is a bit strange, but there is something about flipping through pictures and coming across these random shots that make Jason and I look at each other and laugh hysterically. Laughing is what brings us the best memories. I am so grateful we were able to take this trip together. It was a welcomed change to accompany Jason on a plane rather than just putting him on one for business. Who says you can't mix business with pleasure?

10 comments:

Marnie said...

So much fun! Joe and I got to go to San Francisco over spring break and just loved it. There's definitely a lot to see and do there---and yummy food to eat.

shananchuck said...

Business n Pleasure and no kids...you guys scored!! San Fran is definately a place I would love to see. The bird thing would have freaked me out too!! And the transportation thing we've been through in NYC. It can be a scary situation...I would never want to go in a subway alone!!

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

Awesome trip. You two look like such love birds - that's exactly how it should look.

Nice job on scheduling your trip during Gay Pride Day. That day ranks right up there with National Dog Day::)

Have a good one!

Rob

Steve and Jen said...

It looks like so much fun. I can't remember the last time Steve and I did anything without kids, let alone take a vacation. Good for you guys. Hopefully someday we will be able to go on one too.

Anonymous said...

Thats great that you and Jason could get away and have some fun! So did you have fun at the parade? J/K!! I really need a vacation besides date night twice a month!!

Adam and Anya said...

Ok, I'm really mad you didn't post the photo of the Richard look alike. You've gotta post that! Ok, I'm jealous...time for us to go to SF!

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

Are you blonde? Really, did you lighten your hair? You are pretty as ever. I thought you may have gone rainbow instead of blonde. :)

Glad it was a good trip.

Tonya

Steve and Kelli Fam said...

What a blast. I've been all over Cali but never to SFO. Sounds like fun though. You guys just crack me up! Your too hotcha!

Brooke said...

Oh Jen you have me rolling! You are a great writer!! San Fran is so fun, I went there a couple years ago with Cody for a work trip. We almost died in a cab also, going up and down those hilly roads super fast is SCAREY for sure!! It looks like you guys had a great time!!

Carca said...

What a fun trip...I am glad you two could get away. The parade totally made me laugh! SF is on my wishlist...

*

..

Map

Blog Archive