Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Viva Vacation

Jason and I needed a getaway together.  He's pretty good at knowing when we're due.  He told me a month in advance to block off a few days but didn't tell me where we were going.  I assumed we would be going to California and the beach since we both love it there and he told me to pack according to Phoenix weather.  We hadn't been to Las Vegas for over ten years, so I was pleasantly surprised when we started heading on Grand Ave towards Vegas.  







Last time we went to Vegas, I wasn't thrilled with our accommodations because we stayed in the same hotel where the Miss Hawaiian Tropic contest was happening.  Nothing quite makes a girl feel less sexy than seeing a bunch of bikini babes walking around.
One of my biggest loves in life is music.  Therefore, Jason booked us at the Hard Rock Hotel.



HRH has a new tower that contains all suites.  While checking in, the attendant told me we were staying in the best room in the hotel.  Then preceded to ask if I was married to Jason.  NICE.  I guess married girls usually don't get the best rooms?


We were on the top level with a perfect view of the strip.  All windows and no curtains drawn all night.    I loved how the lights on the strip lit our entire room.


Just in case one T.V. wasn't enough:


By far one of the most comfortable beds I've ever been in.





We were in the 'Kiss' room.  This was one of the more calmer pictures.


I don't think you'd ever see one of these at the Super 8 or Holiday Inn:


What I loved about HRH is that it is a music museum.  So many different artists clothing, instruments, memorabilia, lyrics of popular songs written on paper plates, etc.  I didn't include every photo, because it's hard to get the gist, but I had to include the infamous Michael Jackson glove.  25 years ago, I would've probably cried or broke the glass if I saw it this close.


Jason took me to the Bellagio for dinner at the Olives.  Again, upon checking in...the hostess told me they had the best seat in the restaurant reserved for us by the window to the water show.  Jason received more brownie points on top of the other brownie points.






Our meal was prefaced by a trio of olives and olive tapenades that came with a basket of bread.  It took all of me not to devour all of it.

Jason ordered fillet mignon that was probably the best I've tasted in a long time.  I ordered the butternut squash tortellini's.  Fabulous.



Celebrating Chinese New Year at the Bellagio.  


My love.




Jason and I don't gamble or drink alcohol so we didn't add any monetary benefit to Vegas on that part.  We did still manage to visit the bar for a very cherry coke to bump me out of a diabetic low and also visited the tables so Jason could  learn the proper way to take a dump. (See above.)


We also saw lots of fresh meat in more ways than one.  


Next, we stayed at the Luxor.  For being an oldie, I still love the architecture of it.


Again, Jason booked us at the top.  The hotel didn't seem big until I looked over the balcony edge and my stomach dropped.  The fear of heights reared it's head and I started to sweat.  As long as I stayed toward the inner edge wall, I did fine.  The diagonal elevator was also a trip.  


I was on cloud nine because Jason took me dancing at LAX Nightclub.  I forgot how an awesome sound system will leave your ears ringing for the rest of the night.  Most hate it, I love it.

How we roll:


We ate at Shibuya Japanese Restaurant in MGM Grand.  Probably the best sushi I've ever had with the most expensive miso soup existing on the planet.  


 I was so excited to go shop, especially when Jason didn't set any limits.  But as you can see, Jason had much more success.  I think I had one bag for the entire trip.  Either nothing wowed me or I couldn't justify the price.

Jason had planned for us to stop in California to go to Magic Mountain.  Thankfully we checked the weather and found they had a 70 percent chance of rain.  We decided to nix that until a future date.  So, we headed home.  On the way home, I was craving a good meaty burger.  Wickenburg was our last opportunity, so we stopped at the Gold Nugget.  


It was 8:30 on a Saturday night, and only one other table was occupied.  I joked with the host, who may be the manager, if this was a typical Saturday night in the Wick.  He laughed and said in a Greek accent, 'No, for some action I go to the Blue Martini in Scottsdale. I like to rock and roll.'  He must have been comfortable in conversation because he spoke with us the entire time as we ate our meal.  It didn't help that I am a curious soul and would ask lots of pointed questions.  He even walked us to our car at the end. He'd be a great date for someone, but informed me he is only interested in 21 year olds.  He's 45ish. What cracked me up about it was during part of the conversation at dinner Jason's body language changed and he became a little agitated.  When we were back safe and sound in the car I asked what happened.  He started in saying, 'I can't believe he was saying that.'  'Is it because it's a small town?'  He was truly offended.  This misunderstanding took place as 'the Greek' was explaining in his heavy accent about his buddy in Greece who developed this new locking mechanism that was going to be huge.  He talked of how it could keep anyone out, especially ex-girlfriends, ex-wives, etc.  At that point, Jason THOUGHT he said and keep 'big black bastards out.'  When what he REALLY said was it will be a 'big blockbuster product.'  Ahh, the Gold Nugget, Greek men, heavy accents, good times.






This man of mine is my light.  He keeps things interesting and we have lots of fun along the way. 

Photobucket

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I love all of it!! But confused at the how to take a proper dump at the tables!! Lol good job Jason!

Lori said...

So many anonymous comments I want to leave. It's killing me!

Talialisa said...

Sounds like a fabulous time!!!

Stephanie said...

Wow... what a great trip and FABULOUS photos!

Unknown said...

I think you must have had too much fun. Why were the Shallenbergers not invited??

All I have to say....it's a step up from the haunted motel you stayed in last time.

*

..

Map

Blog Archive