Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Grand Canyon

We've lived here for 9 years and have never been to the Grand Canyon. Kind of embarrassing to admit. We thought we'd go in style and ride the train. It was a 65 mile trip from Williams to the Grand Canyon. Travel time one way was 2 hours 15 min. The time went by quickly. Many facts and history pointers were given along the way and it was nice to be able to sit and enjoy the scenery without worrying if Jason was tailgating.

I didn't know if the kids would be too old to get excited to ride the train. I was thrilled when they were bouncing up and down with anticipation and honestly I was also excited...though I could have fun about anywhere.

Part of our travel entertainment. Larry. He was actually very, very good. You should ask him about his CD.

This was our first glimpse of the canyon.


It seemed surreal. I felt like I was looking at a piece of artwork. The only thing that made it real was being on the trail and being inches from falling to my death. My wish list for the next trip to the canyon would consist of going to the bottom and white river rafting the Colorado River. I think being down in the canyon and gazing up would be the perspective to really gain an understanding of how beautiful it really is.


The squirrels were so tame you could pet them.


Tried to get Jason to dangle Nathan over the edge for a copy cat Michael Jackson footage, but he was unwilling.


Note to self...never wear a yellow shirt to the canyon ever again. Jumbo black bees were shadowing me the ENTIRE day.


Have I mentioned my annoyance of the trip? Foreigners. They have no hiking etiquette. Always on the wrong side of the trail...won't pull to the side to let faster hikers by, etc. I can go on and on. Here we wanted a photo op with the family and this guy would NOT move. Jason got the body language well in this frame. Brynna bored, Nathan with hands on hips, and me starting to rock the attitude.


Captured: Another etiquette-less hiker. As the mules continued their descent, the guide had to continually ask this lady to step to the OTHER side of the trail...you know the one she couldn't get kicked off of.

California Condors

Hopi House


The Hoop Dance. Love this dance. Back in Nebraska, a missionary was serving who did this dance. He tried to teach me a few of the moves...the best I could do was 2 hoops and it was to hula with. White girls can't hoop dance.




At first I thought this was a joke. It is actually missing. Jason eventually put a stone from the ground on it. :)





On our train ride home we were 'robbed.' The kids LOVED it, they even sacrificed their own money.



The kids thanked us over and over and are still talking about it. It feels good to be able to expose them to so much. Personally, I would definitely go back. Next trip will be adults only for a more challenging adventure.

7 comments:

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

Sounds like you all have been having too much fun. Does Jason ever work?

Talialisa said...

Sounds like so much fun! We having been wanting to take the children on a train ride... looks like we found a winner! :)

Lori said...

It could have been worse you could have been hiking with me:)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip. Being local you might want to consider this awesome trip, 1-day whitewater rafting in Grand Canyon. See this video http://vimeo.com/4817767 for a informative overview

Stephanie said...

I am glad you guys got to go. It amazes me every time. I am glad you didn't throw any foreigners off the edge!

Unknown said...

That looks like fun! When my kids are older I want to hike the canyon with them.

Adam and Anya said...

LOL. Rock the attitude! This sounds like something I would do. P.S. - You all look way good for that sweaty Grand Canyon stuff. Next time, don't shower and rub some dirt on your faces for crying out loud.

*

..

Map

Blog Archive