Wednesday, October 21, 2009

U2 360 '09

One of my favorite top two concerts...ever. U2 is better live than on their CD's..if you can even imagine. The University of Phoenix Cardinal Stadium was sold out...over 90,000 people. I've never heard anything quite like when Bono turned off his microphone and had close to 90,000 people singing his song...amazing. Their stage was incredible...again, nothing I've ever seen, and I've been to a lot of concerts. If I have to say anything negative, it would've been their closing song...'Moment of Surrender'? Really? He even said at the end of the concert..'Remember us.' No one could forget U2, but honestly, then don't put us to sleep at the last song. Just a little disappointing. I loved hearing 'One.' I think this song really represents the group. Since the beginning, U2 has been a rock band with an eye on what's going on in the world, and consistently, it's songs have been about things like freedom, peace, unity, love. Plus consider all Bono's extracurriculars. I think One best encapsules that whole spirit of the band. And it's musically and lyrically a powerful song.
Here is the set list for the evening:
Breathe, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Dirty Old Town (snippet), Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, No Line On The Horizon, Elevation, In A Little While, Unknown Caller, Until The End Of The World, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights / Mofo (snippet), Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (snippet) / Two Tribes (snippet), Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet), MLK, Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)encores: One / Amazing Grace (snippet), Where The Streets Have No Name / All You Need Is Love (snippet), Ultra Violet (Light My Way), With Or Without You, Moment of Surrender

Thanks to our neighbors for setting us up with sets of free tickets.










This was the other show that was going on in front of us the entire 5 hours of concert.
And THIS is the G version.

Black Eyed Peas opened and they did a great job.

Fergie got to do "Big Girls Don't Cry" which is one of my faves.

Jason was a little nervous over marijuana inhalation, since he had a urine test for life insurance the next morning...luckily, we didn't have to worry. It was the nacho intake that most concerned me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that so amazing!! I scored a ticket at the last minute. Next time we should go together! I think his last song choice was personal. Did you see him getting choked up on the big screen? Wish Fergie would have sang GLAMOROUS and the night would have been complete:)

Cami said...

How fun!!! You know what concert junkies we are. I would LOVE to see U2! Eric isn't a fan (thinks they are too mainstream now and that Bono is over-rated). I can't imagine a five hour concert! The set list was really impressive. 'One' is a favorite of mine too. U2 was the last album I listened too before being set apart as a missionary. Anyway, I'm glad you guys had an awesome time. I think you guys take the award for the best looking couple!!

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

I guess you recovered from you surgery???? Were you in the nose bleed section? I guess that's where all the action is. :)

Nicole said...

So I just have to tell you that Matt said we were going to the concert and I told him that wasn't a place where I was suppose to be. lol. Glad to see every other LDS person went to this concert and didn't feel bad. lol again. I told him he could go by himself. But we didn't end up getting the tickets anyway. Glad you had fun!

Adam and Anya said...

Little bit jealous here...LITTLE BIT.

Stephanie said...

Looks like it was a great time. I am glad you are up to doing fun things again.

Torrie said...

Not fair! I am glad that someone got to go and enjoy two of my all time fav. bands.

Tiffani Mills said...

Jen- you look so cute- love your shirt! How fun- a concert!! Didn't know you and Jason were so wild! Around marijuana!!!! Haha. Looks like fun

*

..

Map

Blog Archive