Sunday, October 11, 2009

Curse-ed Gnomes

I've never been a superstitious person, until recently. A couple months ago we decided to play a prank on a particular family with an inside joke dealing with gnomes. I waited all summer for gnomes to go on clearance. We gnomed their yard. That was supposed to be the end of it...but here is a tale of a group of little bearded men, who seek to destroy lives with their plotting destuctive curses and spread of bad luck.
The night we gnomed, this family's kitchen flooded, which resulted in having to rip out their wooded floor. A few other things in their life didn't go as expected. So, I joked about burning the gnomes. Turns out, that same night BYU beat Oklahoma..which resulted in us waking up to celebratory gnomes on our doorstep. So, I took pity on them, and left them there. They looked so harmless.
Soon after,my pains began, which turned out to be kidney stones.
Most of you know of our grand entrance to the ward campout. It was actually the Kellis family (prior gnome owners) who ran over the subterranean beehive...we just happened to roll up after them and hit the hive AGAIN. We had bees swarm our car. Jason was stung a few times and Nathan as well. I will never forget the sight. You know how you watch those movies where something is happening and in your head your saying, "duh, people, react!!!!"...it was that type of moment. We were frozen not really realizing what was happening. Once we knew we had to jump ship...embarassing enough, I couldn't help but think we had to look like the bee scene from 'Tommy Boy'. Except, WITH the bees. This resulted in several others being stung and the Tanner family never being welcomed at a ward party again.
We managed to pull through and had a blast the remainder of the time, but came home to a heart break. One of our family dogs, Skippy, had gotten wrapped up in her leash outside, and couldn't reach water and died. A deep solemn came over the house the remainder of the weekend. It was so hard on the kids and I. Jason felt horrible because he made the decision not to have someone watch them and felt he let everyone down. I felt horrible that he felt so guilty. We had the funeral and buried her out back. It was interesting watching our children deal with it. Brynna was just heartbroken and took a few days to smile again. Nathan started by saying, "This isn't happening, it's just a dream." (Denial) To...."I didn't play with her as much as I play with Cleo or the computer" (Guilt) To...."This should have happened to someone else's dog!!!" (Anger) He hit all grieving emotions in the matter of 3 hours and was his normal self the next day. Although it was awful to have the kids find her and go through the experience, it was a great opportunity to do some reflection with the kids in talking about death.
Back to the gnomes:
Suzanne came for a meeting and left to find a broken window out of her van while sitting in my driveway.
I totally bit it at Castles and Coasters in front of a crowd of people. Nothing worse than a BUNCH of people asking if you're okay.
I've had endless accounts of bad luck this past month, some I cannot go into blogging.
I've tried to be patient and tell myself they are silly gnomes. But the last straw came on Friday when I found out I'm headed for surgery on Wednesday. (Details to follow later)
My question: Do I burn them, shatter them in pieces, offer them to anyone who has a vendetta, or give them to my worst enemy?


We still managed some smiles:















7 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are so dead meat for not telling me you were having surgery! OK, so I just typed something really sarcastic and so "Jen" right after my first sentence, but I just couldn't leave it. I don't want people to think I am mean and heartless like they do you. So just imagine what I might have almost, maybe said.

I am sorry about the surgery thing. Dang stones!

Jess said...

Oh my goodness! They are cursed! I say burn them...Or better yet, I have a few people I like to give them too:) Just kidding! Good luck with the surgery. That stinks!

The Williamses said...

I've got an idea for some too.... maybe we could give them as a present to someone at a court hearing on Tuesday?? At least they would be out of state after that. :-) JUST KIDDING, I would never do anything that mean. (anywhere but in my dreams!)

Sorry for the puppy dog loss--- the same thing happened in our family with one of our dogs when I was a kid. It's hard but I think the gospel covers our furry family members too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so sad about your dog! And your surgery! Those gnomes are bad news. Maybe if you leave them out, someone will steal them and the bad luck karma will be transfered. Not that I would know...

Cami said...

I always thought those gnomes were creepy, like they're smiling because they know something you don't. I say destroy them!!!

Dandi said...

I had no idea they were such nasty little creatures. Give them to someone else...share the wealth, not me.

Colemans said...

I am so sorry to hear about Skippy! We loved her too!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive