Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Modern Day Marvel (Things That Make You Go Hmm)

A new drug has plagued our society. A drug that exposes the innermost thoughts of millions for all to know. Codename: Facebook.
Yes, I have a facebook account that I check most every day. I do know of some that check it hourly and some who have it as a permanent screensaver. Basically, addicted and a slave to it.
One of the best things about Facebook is reconnecting with people that you've "lost." I've lost touch with so many as we are all spread globally, yet, I've been able to reconnect and see their updates and family pictures. It truly has been wonderful.
The other "best" thing about Facebook is the never-ending stream of status updates. You can change it according to your mood, activity, private joke, song lyrics, sports smack talk, you name it. In return, you comment on other people's statuses, agree with them, tease them, debate, etc. I know, I know. You know how Facebook works. But I am going somewhere here. This is a Simple Etiquette take on facebook.

Anyway, the FB status update is unique that everyone in your network has the ability to have access to your thoughts. I have around 350 friends with this access. These friends include a variety of people. Some are friends from school, friends of today, friends from church. Some are professional colleagues and professional acquaintances...yes, even people from my doctor's office requested to be my friend. (?) And so, when I post my status updates, I have to think, at least for a moment, about whether I want all 350 of these people to know that I can't stand my HOA, or my disdain of how dirty my husband's truck is, or how I really wish I hadn't had that extra piece of pizza at lunch.
I'm just saying -- remember the two rules of communication: (1) consider your audience (2) consider your message. This is why I am amazed at the things people write for their status updates. Some examples:


...Was on the treadmill for one hour and elliptical for another 45 minutes.
...When am I going to be happy with my weight...I miss my size 5's.
...really hates people who pretend to be your friend and then TURN ON YOU and stab you in the back.
...can't believe her boyfriend decided that he wanted to see other people. I guess all those "I love yous" didn't mean anything after all. I'm over it. Men are pigs!
...hates Monday morning. Why is it Monday again? Dreading the huge pile of work I have to do today! Waaaaanh!
...knows that there has to be some point to life. But just wonders why I have to put up with so much drama and when I have had my fair share already!
True stories.


Here is my take:


1) Everyone hates Monday.





We don't need to know EVERY Monday your feelings on Mondays. We get it. Very few people in the world spring out of bed each morning to go tackle their jobs, which they love and adore. Most of us make daily efforts to enjoy our time at the grindstone, find the joy, do the work, and reap the rewards. A reminder that it is Monday brings everyone down. Enough, Debbie Downer!



2) Your FB circle is not your personal trainer.




I totally respect and appreciate status updates where people say they enjoyed their run/trip to the gym/bike ride/or kid's game. It's great to know what people are up to in their spare time, and sometimes those updates can be a great motivator to get out there! However, I differentiate when the status update reads like a workout journal entry, a justification, or a call for praise. . See, this is where the extended nature of the Facebook network comes into play. I don't need my board member colleagues and my friends in professional offices to know how long I spent on the treadmill or that I feel like I have a triple chin coming on. Why on earth would I want to share that with everyone I have deemed FB friend-worthy? No way.



3) Your FB circle is not your therapist.



Let me be clear: While being on FB and chatting with new and long-lost friends may be therapeutic, your FB status is not the place to look for epiphanies or getting professional marriage counseling. If you need therapy, get it, but airing dirty laundry in life via facebook for professional advice just isn't right.



4) Friend drama does not make a status update.

So, you got in a fight with your friend. You eventually will make up...yet, we, your facebook friends, don't get to see that process unfold. So, we are left with these statements about your friends that you have so publically 'thrown under the bus.' Even more awkward if your friend is ALSO my friend.


5) Trashing your ex in your status makes you look trashy.



He might be a total slimeball, and he might have broken your heart. But I promise that using your status update to share those raw emotions with your entire FB circle won't make you heal faster, feel better, or even make him flinch. Quite the opposite, in fact. You run the risk of putting your bruised heart on your online sleeve for everyone to see. And let's face it, it's best to lick your wounds in private.


So, to sum up for status updates on Facebook: be sarcastic, observant, informative, wry, cryptic, punny, contradictory, opinionated, or bold. Just don't whine about work, life, Monday, your sucky friend/ex-friend/significant other/ex-significant other. Stay in control..because now we have the ability to read your thoughts.

18 comments:

Lori said...

Okay, I started to leave a comment but it was entirely too long!

P.S. Hope I'm not one of the people your talking about!

Unknown said...

That's too funny. And true! I have a FB friend who lets us know every freaking second how depressed he is.

Also, I don't care about the status of the weather, your pile of laundry, or how tired you are. Seriously, FB friends, if that's all you have to say, don't say anything!!

But the worst offender is this girl I used to know in Utah who spackles her little girls up with whore-enndous makeup and "designer" clothes and posts picture after picture for all the world to see of them "modeling" with their butts sticking out and everything. It's so disturbing and WEIRD!

Nicole said...

-Didn't run today so I feel bloated
-I dislike Monday's
-irritated at my dog
-had a good R.S. meeting
-my signigicatant other said I was flopping around like Shamu the other day..........
OH we are not suppose to do this...but you never said I couldn't wine on your comments spot on your blog. NOW put all of what you said on fb! I completly agree with everything!!!

Anonymous said...

So after all that, what are we left with for status updates that are Jennifer approved? I'll try to remember this the next time I'm on Jennifer Book, um I mean facebook.

Tanner Fam said...

Actually, I gave all my Jennifer approved at the end of my blog...must not have made it through the entire read.

Is anonymous defensive?

Unknown said...

Anonymous is probably grumpy because it's monday and raining and he/she has like, the hugest pile of laundry ever!

Lori said...

Oh anynoums is so brave behind their name! I kind of like Jennifer book better anyways...

I was just gonna add politics to the list. I don't mind a thing or two. But all the time, who cares really?

Jill said...

What about when I'm PMSing and it's on a Monday and it caused a fight??? ;)

Mason clan 5 said...

You are so funny. I love that you are willing to get your opinion out there. I haven't left any comments on facebook for a while because I can't stand to read the same comments from myself. And Lindsey I would be the one with the Laundry....

Elise and Dan said...

Hahaha, So true...all of it! I think you may have made everyone wonder or dig deep in their memories if they ever posted a status that you just ripped on. Lol. I am sure I have fallen into the Facebook trap, at some time, of "TMIing" in my status. It's easy to forget that everyone will read it. It feels "safe" to post things, when you aren't really there saying it face to face.
I can't stand it when some one posts about having a headache every day or some other ailment. They are ALWAYS complaining!! I can't stand whiners! But, seriously the whiners about Mondays are the worst!

Elise and Dan said...

PS. Anonymous must be guilty of these status updates OR you quoted one of Her/His status updates in your blog entry. Hahahaha....

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

AMEN!!! My dislikes in life....Daily FB comments. Love the entry!

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure I may have been guilty of one or two of the no-no status updates, but I agree with you 1000%!

Jennifer Shorr said...

ha ha ha...

Brooke said...

Sooooo funny Jen! There is someone I am "friends" with that leaves updates like you wouldn't believe. I hate my husband, I hate my kids, I can't sleep, I have a headache, over and over and over, several times a day.

I agree with everything you said!!

Dandi said...

Well looks like you've drawn all the complaints from facebook onto your blog! wahahahaha! Everyone, just call Jen up and complain to her in a personal one on one setting instead of sending it to her via facebook. LOL
I actually really enjoyed this post. It gave me something to think about. I only get on facebook about once a month, but it's still something to think about.

The Williamses said...

I am cracking up!!!

I personally never check Facebook, I go on occasionally to accept a friend request or something-- but I went on just to look at the status updates on my pages to see if it's really true. Yup. It is.

THe best updaters on my pages are my nieces, they actually say really funny stuff that makes me laugh and never break Jen's rules. One from my niece Amanda: "Enjoyed PE today, watching my friend try to throw a football. It went backwards, but it would've been a really great throw!" Perfect.

Cami said...

Jen this post is laugh out loud funny!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive