Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wisdom and Wit of an 8 Year Old

Oh, how I love this boy. He can make my blood boil and my heart melt. He has the amazing ability to say the right things at the right time. He also has the amazing ability to say the wrong things at the wrong time. Either way, he loves to get a reaction, which is why he does it. I've learned he carefully plans his timing with what he chooses to say. He's has a trememdous quick wit with much wisdom.
For instance, on our trip to Utah I got pulled over (again) for speeding. 68 in a 50. I was dying because as many of you know, I just finished traffic school of my first ticket since 1994. I couldn't believe I was getting pulled over so soon since that ticket. Nathan kept calling from the back seat, "Mom, Mom, how fast were you going? What else did you do wrong? Why are you angry?" "He's got a cool car." (Saying all the WRONG things)
The police man comes to the car, gets all the information, goes through all the 'did you know you were speeding?"...yada yada yada....and as he grabs all my info and turns to walk, Nathan says loudly, "Don't worry, Mom, good cops give people second chances." (Saying all the RIGHT things)
Now the officer sat in his car for a good 10 min. Probably contemplating if he was a good or bad cop, and then wondering if a child would forever think of a cop in the same way. Needless to say, I got a warning.

Fast forward a week: Having a conversation about Brynna about her birth and how much of a fighter she was. As a sarcastic mom, I asked her what happened because she's fighting a case of laziness (for about the last year). Nathan pipes in and says, "HA HA, nothing's wrong with me." I respond and tell him he has a hearing problem. When he proclaims, "I do NOT"...I say, yes, because you have a hard time following directions.
He said, "Well, so do you, Mom." I flip my head while standing on my pedestal and say, 'Give me one example.'
"You got pulled over, TWICE."

Burned by my own sarcasm.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What can I say other than you reap what you sow! He is SO your child. He cracks me up too.

Lori said...

O how I wish I could be a fly on your wall.

Plus, I agree with Steph.

Can't wait to see what my kids have in store for their Dad.

Reeva M said...

Good bless

*

..

Map

Blog Archive