Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beach House Bums

We are glowing. Not just for the fact that we had some R & R, but because of our sunburns. We spent the last couple of days with friends at Newport Beach. Of all the things we miss about California, the top two are friends and the beach. Jason grew up surfing and when we got married he introduced me to all the ocean has to offer. It does remind me a bit of Disneyland. You wait in the water for that one perfect wave to come, which lasts 5-10 seconds, and then it's all over and back to waiting. We had great water, up to 6 ft. waves, which for Newport is decent. I had a few that knocked me around enough that it seems I still taste salt. The kids are old enough now that they really enjoy the beach. Brynna and Nathan both were on the boogie boards and are now almost too trusting of the ocean. Seeing them run and play, being free, brings great joy to me as a mom.

Our friends had both upstairs and down rented for the week, which made room for more visitors. On a side note, we were neighbors to a 90 year old man who was the inventor of hot dog on a stick. We didn't honor him very well by grilling pork, chicken, and tri-tip. We ate so well and after burning so many calories, seemed to eat all day long. I was introduced to yellow watermelon. It was delish! Unfortunately, it will be back to hot dogs at home.

It was another vacation we'll remember forever. We made great memories. Some of which were: card games with the worst stakes of a universal M and M, track ball, 'haunches', 'Phelps', hour long reads of a paragraph, 'springy' beds, psycho boogie boarders, male dominant remote controllers, teflon syrup, drunk arrests on the beach, 'olive juice', and many conversations in the ocean. :)
We miss you all already!


























12 comments:

Jess said...

How fun!!! My poor kids still have never seen the ocean...Hopefully soon! I had to laugh at the picture of you guys reading breaking dawn...Too funny!! Reminds me of myself!

my mudda' calls me jack said...

i wish you had more pictures of you in the suit, no book.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! I love to go to the ocean it is so relaxing. You deserve a vacation, so I am glad you guys had fun..

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you had a good time. Tell Katie I still haven't been back to the gym, but not because of her, maybe she should just take over my membership.

Joey and Megan said...

Well I'm glad you had a lot of inside jokes because I have no idea what half of that was about. But I'm glad you at least admit that you are a bum. You try to cover it up with all that "Relief Society President" stuff but I've always known the real truth. Ha ha :)

Brooke said...

Wow, I can't think of a better vacation then being on a beach somewhere with a book! Looks like you had a great time....

shananchuck said...

Looks like a great time to me!! We love the beach! Have you finished Breaking Dawn yet!?! I loved it!! I hope you really got to relax...we never seem to relax on our vacas...there is always so much going on!!

Stevenson's said...

Glad you had fun in Cali. But please tell me that your not reading the book about vampires! It took me 5 months to read the first and don't think I can go through the other 3. Maybe we can get together and you can tell me all the others. And why everyone loves them. I know about 1 million people are hating on me right now.

Lori said...

You love routines & rules too! We should get together and figure out more ways we can ruin our children's lives together. I'm just kidding!(In my best Rob Schneider voice) I knew you ment the good R&R. I'm glad you had fun. Although I'm not going to say you deserve it cause I'm pretty sure this is like the 3rd or 4th vacation you guys have taken since starting your blog. (I'm totally not jealous or anything.)Sheesh you would think Jason was like on High council or something. Or like you were Relief Society presdient.

Adam and Anya said...

No, you didn't honor the hot dog man very well.

BUT, now that you're home just put all your hot dogs on sticks.

Marnie said...

Looks like a blast. Gotta love the beach! I've never heard of yellow watermelon...sounds good.

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! loved your birthday post too. XO

*

..

Map

Blog Archive