Monday, July 14, 2008

Home


I went to Nebraska to pick up my mom and bring her home to Arizona. Meanwhile, I stayed with my brother, Barry, his wife, Jen, and their kids, Myah, Sydney, and Brendan. Even though I missed having Jason and the kids there, it was nice to be able to go and simply be daughter, granddaughter, sister, and aunt.

Mom had her retirement party at work which we were all able to attend. She made such wonderful friends there that became family. After Johnny died, they were a huge support system and helped in ways I couldn't being so far away. I am grateful to them for all of their love and encouragement.
I have the best nieces and nephew! Myah is into catching bugs, playing jokes on me, being a typical big sister, music, and can do interesting voices.
Sydney is just insane. Her mouth is moving from sun up to sun down. She is pretty dramatic, and is a social gem. She belches better than any adult I know.
Brendan is also very social, loves to eat, and loves to sing the "Annie" song. He would melt my heart anytime he would call me "Aunt Jenny."
Like his sisters, he also is learning lines from
movies, obviously from his dad. I heard several times, "Hey lady, you call him Dr. Jones!"

I had such a great time hanging out with my brother all week. His wife, Jen, had strong ambitions to be a doctor and works hard doing Internal Medicine. Barry graduated with a degree in construction management and is one of the smartest people I know. He never had to try, it always made me sick. I do have to commend both him and Jen for making a decision for one to stay home. My brother put his employment on hold to do so.

I once told my mom, "You have to feel so proud, to know both of your kids are unemployed." She responded, "you both have degrees, you have great spouses, and by seeing the happiness of my grandkids, I couldn't be more proud."
Barry is so patient, even-tempered, fun loving, hilarious, and just an overall wonderful husband, dad, and brother.
We laugh at things that no one else finds humor in. My passion is music, and he is my supplier. He kicks my butt in tennis, but wll show mercy just to make me feel better. We stay up entirely way too late creating famous people on the Wii. If he wasn't my brother, I might actually consider hanging out with him as a friend.

One thing I realized...I go to Nebraska, and I am home. I go to California, and I am home. Arizona will always be home. Home isn't a place, but rather a feeling of love, acceptance, warmth and memories. I am grateful that I can call so many places home.


"Children of the Corn"


Not such a guitar hero


Classic Sydney: mouth always open






















3 comments:

Adam and Anya said...

You have a brother named Barry??

I bet your family loved having you in town! (Love the "children of the corn" thing too.)

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

I have to agree with the "home" part. Some would say that we are homeless right now, but I tell them we have lots of homes. The only thing different is that we are moving from home to home to home to home. It will be nice to have a closet again. :)

Lori said...

How wonderful to have your Mom here with you! I didn't know what to do with myself when my Mom moved back here. It was kind of weird at first. I am a Mammas girl. I love my Dad, but I think I need my Mom. She is the second person I call with good or bad news. Of coarse I always look to her for advice. She's not active in the church, but that doesn't change my love and admiration for her.

*

..

Map

Blog Archive