Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July Withdrawl (With a Fechter Twist)

I wasn't missing home, until Independence Day came. I was suffering with major withdrawls not being with my family, friends, the BBQ party, doing sparklers with the kids, someone getting injured each year, and putting on our own fabulous fireworks extravaganza. We usually are in Nebraska for our summer getaway. This year, times have changed. Mom sold the home I have only ever known (sniff, sniff) to be able to come live here in Arizona (YEAHHHHH). I don't think I will miss home as much as I do this time of year. After living in California and Arizona, there is still nothing quite like it, nor will anything be able to ever replace it. So be careful, Bro, we will be invading YOU now.

On the 4th, we went to the Surprise Stadium to watch fireworks and let the kids play in the water and have a good time. We accompanied the Fecther's, which should have given us an incling of how the night would end. Many of you probably don't know, but bad luck tends to follow the Fechter family, and frankly they are slightly crazy (the proof is above).

The storm clouds were in the distance. A welcomed sight after a long, hot day in the sun. The wind starts blowing...cools us off a bit, feels real good. And then....the dust rolls in. At 8 o'clock they announce that we are in a "holding pattern" for fireworks. Every fifteen minutes, they up the time and we wait...and wait...and wait..and lighting is getting closer. Finally at 9:15 we decide to pack it up and go to Sonic for some treats (since the concession line at the stadium was at least an hour long). We get home around ten, and hear the loud bangs from afar. Are you kidding me?? We watch the awesome show we paid for out of an upstairs window. Thanks, Fechters.
Kidding aside, it was great to be with such good friends. They helped me have a good time regardless and helped me through my withdrawl by keeping me smiling. They are worth the bad luck.

We feel so blessed to live in the United States. We love this country with all of our hearts. We are grateful to those who serve, have served, or will serve in the military for their bravery and love of this great nation.





Kelli, thanks for the hook up with the shirt. You would not believe all the comments!

These boys are doing the armpit fart shake. NICE.

7 comments:

Joey and Megan said...

I seriously thought our bad luck streak was over. I will have to blog about that one of these days. No comment on how often the Superman cape is worn by my husband around the house. ha ha. Thanks for making us famous on your blog. You guys made our day fun!

Anonymous said...

Well we didn't even get to see fireworks!! LOL I'm sorry you didn't get to go home for the 4th, hopefully next year will be better.

Adam and Anya said...

THIS is why I LOVE the ward!!!

Ok, wasn't that dust storm lame?? 4th of July is a bigtime holiday for me. I threaten Adam if we don't get to see any fireworks.

I saw a few so I'll be ok.

Jennifer Shorr said...

The Armpit Handshake is hilarious, that's a new one for me! Looks like you had a super 4th!

Steve and Kelli Fam said...

I didn't know that your mom was moving to AZ. AWESOME for you!
So you were lookin pretty hot in that shirt! Steve just rolled his eyes when he saw it. Hee hee.

shananchuck said...

Sorry Jen!! I grew up with AZ fireworks my whole life. I thought they were spectacular until this year we went to NY and had our own firework display in the street and off the water. It was amamzing! I now know what you have known your whole life!! It definatley is something to be missed!

Marnie said...

What a cute picture of you and Jason. Love the shirt--I'm a Twilight fan. Happy 4th of July!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive