Friday, November 25, 2011

It's The End Of the World As We Know It...And I Feel Fine







It's been 24 hours since I returned from 'Black Friday' shopping.  It's the first year shopping started earlier than Friday.  There were pros and cons.  For me, the night owl, late night shopping is a huge plus as opposed to trying to drag myself out of bed in the wee hours of the morning.  Unfortunately, that was the case with lots of individuals.  I'm sure the stores made bank but I felt compassion for the employees that were torn away from their families on Thanksgiving to serve complaining, irrational, and impatient people who got to be with their families.

I have three situations I want to comment on:
1.  New Obstacles.
2.  A Change of Heart.
3.  The Apocalypse.






1.  Holy teenagers or A.K.A...space occupiers.  The problem with shopping at night is the youngin's haven't been to bed yet.  At least at 4 a.m. the youth are all snug in their beds and too lazy to be up.  The mall was horrendous.  Dodging the teenagers was adding a whole other obstacle to the mix.  Many seemed to have a confused, vulnerable virgin look in their eye, you knew it was their first 'Black Friday' experience. They tried walking around doing what others were doing.  Kinda like the teenage protesters, not really knowing why they're yelling and holding signs, only because it's 'cool' since a majority of others are doing it. Their goal wasn't to shop, it was to be out of the house.  Watch and learn amateurs but stay out of the way.





2.  Toys-R-Us opened at 9 p.m.  There wasn't really anything fabulous in the ads, but there was one item that would have saved us 50 dollars.  We arrived several minutes before opening. We knew there would be a line, but I was willing to wait until it all poured in the store to get my item.  I knew they'd have plenty left.  OMGosh, the line was wrapped around the entire store.  When the doors opened, they only allowed 20 people in and would wait 5 minutes before letting another 20 in.  Maddening.  The line grew more than it diminished.  I wanted to pay someone to let us jump in, or save the item for us.  Another couple who arrived the same time we did magically cut the line and were the third shift to be let in the store.  I was SO irritated.  People had waited roughly 10 hours in that line.  I would've been pissed if I'd been the ones behind who'd waited for hours.  But in actuality, I think I was more annoyed that they outsmarted me as they glanced and smirked my way.  I used to be amazing at cutting the line at the school lunch line and lines such as these and now I loathed the ones who did. Back in the day I would've given them a pat on the back with a 'good job, if you have the guts, then you deserve it.' Yesterday, I wanted to literally grab them, expose them and let the lynch mob take care of them... or worse, tattletale (*gasp*) to the manager before she let them in.  What has happened to me?? I've grown a conscience.  Dang that Jason.






3.  The movies and games at Walmart were strategically placed in the produce section. They had it all taped off while they were counting down and giving the crowd the 'keep calm' pep talk.  I delegated that responsibility to Jason for once as I had the pleasure of watching from a distance leaning on the potatoes.  As the 'go-ahead' was given, I saw two amazing sights.  First, I've always wondered if people would become as inconsiderate as they appear in the movies when 'the end' is near and they are stocking up on provisions.  What I saw from a distance gave me a look at how I behaved as one of them in the past.  There was the goal of getting that item that was so important, the consideration of any other human being became the furthest thing from the mind.  People were pushing carts into others while others were being shoved, cussing at employees as if it was their fault that items ran out, body odor and sweat permeating the air, the crazed look in the eyes, and complete and utter chaos.  It wasn't pretty and I became certain at that point of the importance of having a sufficient food storage supply.  Really, it scared me.  And from afar, when you see what people are willing to do to one another to save a few dollars, it's quite sad and depressing and ridiculous.  I'm 99.9% positive the apocalypse could begin at Walmart.
  
Yet, in all the madness was a beautiful sight, my husband moving as if in slow motion as he spun, juking his way around the craze.  It was like watching a pro NFL player on slow motion replay making the play of the game.  He did it with such grace, sophistication, and humanity...he is the prime example of why we didn't cut in line earlier in the evening.  So while some went to bed last night feeling accomplished because they got everything on their list by whatever means necessary, we went to bed knowing we kept our dignity.
Damn that Jason...he'll make a lady out of me yet!
 
Photobucket

2 comments:

Talialisa said...

Loved your post! Yet, what you described is exactly why I refuse to participate in Black Friday.

Amanda said...

I love reading your blog. Will you please write a book! I had the same feeling at Walmart. The feel at Walmart is like crazed wild animals and target is like the humans still exists.

*

..

Map

Blog Archive