Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fall Break

I figured I needed to hurry and post something from all the 'ew, gross' comments about my below zombie post. On the plus side, I did have a couple of my friends who came out of the closet and announced they also were watching/loving The Walking Dead. 

We went to California over Fall Break and decided to take in excitement (Six Flags Magic Mountain), education (U.S.S. Midway), spiritual (Mormon Battalion Center), food and shopping (Old Town San Diego) and relaxation (Mission Bay and La Jolla Beach).  We were in California for a few short days and spent the rest of our time and energy at home getting the 'honey-do' list done.

First stop:  Magic Mountain


The crew minus two.  


We started on the moderate rides so some could get a feel and work ourselves up.  
Revolution.


I would've loved to have read her mind to know her thoughts at this exact moment.  But by the concerned look and death grip, I think I have a pretty good idea.


Tatsu.  The boys in the front row.  My biggest concern for the trip was how Nathan would do on the rides.  He rode EVERY single one the big boys did and loved every minute.  He did ones even I couldn't do...due to my fairly recent equilibrium total break down.  I can flip a thousand times, but to put me in a spinning fashion and expect vomit.

The infamous Colossus with Goliath hovering overhead.


I think the only picture that actually proved I went on a ride.


The girls were a blessing and a curse to each other.  They would either talk each other into a ride, or scare each other out of it.


Apocalypse.  The coaster they loved going on multiple times.  My hair flipping like crazy because of the speed and roughness was one of my favorite things about this ride.  


I practiced this shot multiple times to try and get the girls as they flew by...no avail.  







Men vs. Goliath


By the end, people were starting to shut down.


The explanation of this ride is 'entering the 5th dimension' whatever that means.  So, I thought it important to place Jason and Nathan on it first to test the waters.


So we waited....


...and started to snoop while we waited.


...and worked to tidy the place while we waited.


...and got approached by a family hoping as a worker that I could assist them in finding a few rides.  Rather than just saying, 'um, I don't work here' I did the next best thing, 'Do you have a map?  Maybe you should try your map.'

So X2 was freakish according to our test riders.  SO glad I didn't go.  If my husband was freaked and felt a little nauseous, I would've DIED!

Favorite picture of Six Flags:  the total randomness down to the little girl on the left.

Next stop:  USS Midway

We loved it here.  Way too much to see.  We did the headphone tour and were glad we did.  We spent a good 4 hours there and still didn't see everything.  It was definitely worth the trip and the money.  
I was fascinated by knowing ALL that takes place on a ship such as this from laundry to cooking to medical.  I loved touring the kitchen (which still smelled like food) to get an idea of the work that took place to feed a ship full of men on a daily basis. I can manage to grumble about feeding myself at times. The whole tour was very educational and I highly recommend it.


I don't know where he gets it from.



Caity sleeping in the barracks.


She's always had a thing for pilots.



Hopefully receiving psychiatric help.


'The Commander' with two very small pilots.


My daughter is a perv. I gotta be honest, when I first saw this..the tall lankiness, the pale snow white skin I thought it was Tyler. No worries, it was a clone mannequin of him.


I have no idea how I ended up with so many shower scene pictures, but here is the next one.  And it wouldn't surprise me if he actually takes reading material into the shower.  


A small selection of Squadrons who served on the USS Midway.


Upon closer investigation...'Don't ask, don't tell' in effect.



Yet again, the randomness of Nathan as he appears to be on a cell phone with a Sasquatch feel as he enters the picture frame.



Poster Child for the Navy:  The 'Hero' pose.




Favorite picture from the USS Midway:  This is not meant to offend anyone, but I can't help but think this picture portrays Nathan as being 'special' as he's being buckled into his plane seat.


Next Stop:  Mormon Battalion Center



Paying particular attention to Nathan (yet again) as he ruins another shot.  A little back story to this: his favorite game as a family is playing charades.  One time I gave him the clue 'dumbbell'.  He had no idea what a dumbbell was and did his best improvising by making a stupid face while acting like he was ringing a bell.  It was comical, but now we catch him doing it in photos to be funny. 


He liked being the go-to guy for the tour guide.


Picture in picture.


As we researched names, it seems quite possible that Suzanne and Jason's family were in the same handcart companies.


My usual happy self as I do my chores.


Jason secretly dreams of going gold panning. It is on his top ten to-do list.


Finally, the man works.


I don't really know what was going on in this picture, I'm assuming it's Suzanne showing us her pathetically small piece of gold.





Out of control.


Not quite sure what I'm doing with my hand, but it ruined our picture.


If starvation or the cold/heat wouldn't have killed the kids while crossing the country in a wagon, I may have with all the whining.


Inspiration pose.


Old, gray, and lonely...complete with a rocker. 


Jason thought he was so funny casting his shadow on them during the picture, all the while not realizing he himself was in the picture looking like a doofus.


Favorite picture from the Mormon Battalion:  Jason defacing a statue. This is a long running battle between him and his brother-in-law.  We're ahead.

Next stop:  Old Town San Diego


We saw the historic area homes and went through the shopping centers.  I bought an amazing puffy llama and a head massager.  Random memorabilia.  My llama is a conversation piece and the head massager is one of the best inventions ever...I get immediate goose bumps the second it touches my scalp.  It is truly heaven for all you who love a great scalp rub.

I love the individual personalities of the homes...just one of the things I miss about the midwest:






Favorite picture:  Besides the awkwardness of Tyler, I love how Jason inserted himself again in the picture.

Final stop:  Mission Bay and La Jolla Beach.



I did a Facebook challenge on this photo to come up with a caption for this picture.

Some were:   ‎"OH MY GOSH, Mama look....that guy is whiter than I am!!!!!"
Buddy the Elf: "SAAAANNNTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
 HAHAHAHAH!!! X''D HAH kid history: "MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKE. . . IM GONNA KICK YOU IN YOUR HEAD!! MIIIKKKEEEEEEEE"

 La Jolla...I LOVE it there.










Favorite Pictures from the Beach:
The Amish at Mission Bay.  I found them fascinating because of the joy in their faces while playing in the water. For some reason, it was really moving and beautiful to me.




Great trip.  Good times. Looking forward to Spring.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You definitely got some awesome photos! I love all the silliness. The one of Jason swinging on the lamp post in the background could just as easily be Nathan, same devilish grin. Love it!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive