Sunday, September 28, 2008

Family Ties


See if you can follow me on this one.....

A family friend, David, came to spend the weekend with us. He lives in California and we have known his family for years. In fact, Jason was his Young Men's President and I was his sister's Young Women President. I have also served and am good friends with their mother, our kids were in the oldest sister's wedding, and needless to say, the Thompson's are family. 5 years ago, David served his mission out in Mesa. He was serving in the single's ward at ASU. (Poor guy.) While there, he sent us a letter and asked us to attend one of his baptisms. He thought we would really like James, especially because he was from Nebraska and we would have Husker football to discuss. We were able to attend and were so impressed with James. Fast forward 5 years and David came to spend the weekend with us so he could go to James' sealing ceremony.

On Friday, we recieved a call from our kinda sorta, we still claim him, brother in-law, Joe. Joe was married to Jason's sister, Megan, until she passed away of Lou Gering's disease.
3 years ago, Joe married Marnie, who was not only an answer to many prayers, but as a bonus, she is absolutely amazing in every way. I really felt for her because she didn't marry into one family, she married into two and became an instant mother. In my book, she is high class. She always makes a point to include us in their life events. Joe called to let us know they were coming to Phoenix because Marnie's sister was getting married and wanted to get together Saturday night.
David arrived on Friday and we were asking about the girl James was marrying. As he started to describe her and gave her name..I said....wait...Marnie has a sister named Heather! So after some detective work (sorry Marnie, I stalked your sisters' blogs) came to find out that in fact James was marrying Heather, Marnie's sister. What a small (Mormon) world!

After being all together at dinner, I took a reflective moment. David was able to meet the new family of his convert and get a glimpse of the happiness James will experience while seeing the fruit of his own labors as a missionary. Joe and Marnie were able to meet one of the key instruments in bringing their sister love, happiness, and an eternal family. I was in awe noticing how we all can make a difference in lives around us. And while we may not realize at the time the potential of our works, we are definitely placed in one another's paths for a great purpose. I anticipate to see in the eternities all the ties that were formed in this life.

7 comments:

Joey and Megan said...

And they are also my cousin's best friend's uncle's daughter's next door neighbor, so it really is a small world.

Mason clan 5 said...

Wow- i am not sure that I followed all that. I may need a drawing. j/k That is awesome that he see how his choose to go on a mission affects others.Awesome

Stephanie said...

So crazy! What a great weekend seeing all the good things coming about. I am glad that they are all finding such happiness in life.

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

I believe they are my cousins too!

Tonya

Adam and Anya said...

Wow, that's an amazing story. When I joined the church the world got really small.

Nicole said...

I'm confused!

Steve and Kelli Fam said...

Fun story! I just love when that kind of stuff happens. I also love it when Jen comes to visit me in Atlanta!!!! Oh wait....

*

..

Map

Blog Archive