Monday, June 15, 2015

Oh, The Weather Inside Is Frightful

Arizona summers, we have a love/hate relationship.  Growing up in the Midwest, I was accustomed to cold and am a disgrace now to my native state.  I love the heat. Typically if it's under 85 degrees I need a long sleeve shirt or I'm uncomfortable.  I love getting into our pool at night and it feeling more like a spa than a tall glass of cold water.  This week, the heat here is really going to hit.  And not that I particularly love the feeling of walking into what feels like a hot oven whenever I'm outside in the daytime- but it's ten times better than pumping gas in the blowing windy subzero temperatures. Am I right??


Beautiful? Dreadful?  Take your pick. But regardless, why am I then dressed like this??





Because my husband likes to save money and likes sticking it to APS. 
 33 solar panels covering the entire back roof and patio of our house apparently wasn't enough.  So while APS has their off-peak hours (7p.m. to Noon) he has the air conditioning down to 70 degrees.  Not that bad, you say? You're a wimp, Jen?  Coming in from 110 degrees to a 40 degree difference is like living in a meat freezer.  I swear if I look close enough, I can see my own breath.  Ok, not really. 
 During peak hours (Noon to 7 p.m.) we shut the air conditioning off completely- keep all the blinds shut- lights off- live in dungeon like vampire darkness until slowly throughout the day I begin to thaw until off-peak hours--when I get put back in the freezer.  Sadly, this process works and has saved us a decent amount of money.  It's approximately 3:30 p.m. and the temperature in here is 76 degrees. I can finally move my fingers to type.  
So, my fellow Arizonan's- I thought I'd share this tip since it was graciously shared with us. Grab your coat, mittens, and hot chocolate and ride the Arizona summer out in goosebumps. 
Stay warm my friends.
Photobucket

1 comment:

nelly said...

Yes, I'm freezing over here too. I actually like the first 3 seconds of going outside because I'm usually so cold.

*

..

Map

Blog Archive