Thursday, June 16, 2011

POLL: Has FB Ruined Reunions?


 VS.



I have heard chatter from various people talking of their high school reunions coming up this summer.    In thinking of my future reunions, I'm indecisive if I myself will plan to attend.  There are several factors that would hold me back:  money to travel back east, I'm still in contact with my close friends from school anyway, and the biggie:  Facebook.  I know that technology can hinder face to face interactions, I'm definitely not lacking in that area and I swear I'm not becoming a cyber-nerd.  I embrace both technology and human interaction. Yet...has technology ruined reunions?

I was excited for my ten year reunion.  I loved going and seeing everyone, hearing about their families, seeing pictures, hearing about where they were in their journey of life.  Now, almost ten years later...we have Facebook and with that, the curiosity that made reunions exciting...is gone.   I'm happy when I see the 'Friend Request' or locate someone... because for me, it's a mini-reunion right there in my home in my pajamas.  All those curiosity factors are answered and I enjoy catching up.

So, in thinking of going to a reunion and seeing those who are already my 'friends' on Facebook...what do we talk about?  What do you talk about when you've already had your questions and curiosity answered?  I know we can elaborate on family stories or careers, but what next during the awkward silence?  You can only reminisce about the glory days for so long.  Is it worth the money for plane tickets?  I'm sure I sound cold, but I'm being serious and am really asking my readers...what's your opinion?  What will you do?


Photobucket

6 comments:

Joey and Megan said...

I haven't really considered it so I'll have to think about it, but . . . I certainly wish Facebook would have been a little more prevalent when I was planning my ten year, instead of having to try and find people through a bunch of random ways. I did gain some good stalking skills though.

my mudda' calls me jack said...

I'm generally not too excited about reunions- with or without facebook. I feel like I'm in touch with the people that matter to me and yes, now with facebook they are even less exciting to me.
I don't think they are pointless, just not exciting- to me.

Ammanda said...

Like you said, the people you want to keep up with, you keep up with - and those that you really want to keep up with are still your friends - hence one of the reasons I'm not on Facebook. My opinion (since you asked):) - save the plane ticket for some place you and Jason REALLY want to go.

Talialisa said...

I have no desire to go to a reunion, no desire to be on facebook - for the same reason. I keep in contact with those friends that matter. Besides, life has a funny way of bringing old friends back into your life....

Adam and Anya said...

Our 10 year reunion was CANCELLED because no one wanted to go. When everyone saw each other on FB they realized there was no need to see each other in person. I guess that's how much people in high school really love each other.

I keep up with my 2 forever friends still but no need for a reunion.

The Williamses said...

I'm just feeling a little old because this year would be my 20... and I'm only 21 in my head so what the hey?

I think reunions are silly in general. I didn't spend the money on.... well, 1/10th of a tank of gas to go to my 10 year.

BUT, as for Facebook vs in person--- you can't hug on FB and there are sometimes people you just need to hug, whether at reunions or not. So it doesn't ruin it for everything.

*

..

Map

Blog Archive