Tuesday, July 27, 2010

People...Don't Be Holding Out On Me


What the heck...this book has been out for awhile and no one bothered to tell me how amazing it is?!
As I've been talking about it, I've heard some say..'Yeah, I read that book a year ago." I've passed it several times on the shelves at the book store and thought the title sounded intriquing.  Often wondered if I should buy it.   I never took the time to read the back...though reading the premise of the book wouldn't have prepared me for how good it was.  Finally, after hearing chatter about it...I quickly read my current book, The Magician, and immediately went to purchase this one.  Two days later, I was done.  It has been some time since I have read a book that had me so wrapped within it's pages that I forgot I was a wife, mother, and person with responsibilities.  I stayed awake until 3 am (not totally new) and couldn't put it down.  After completion, my mind is still processing and linking the symbolism of it all.  Politics, survival, compassion, human decency and the lack thereof, endurance, desparity, intelligence, and of course hunger all within 374 pages.  Suzanne Collins is a genius.  I've heard the second book is just as good if not better.  So, please don't call me for the next few days...I will be wrapped up in my own world and being a recluse.  Don't worry, I will occasionally take bathroom breaks and throw some crackers on the table from time to time for the kiddos.  I just wanted to officially get the word out...and remind my friends to inform me immediately when something this good comes along.  Recommendations are always welcome.
My next read after the trilogy will be 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett.


Photobucket

8 comments:

Talialisa said...

Ashlee has been trying to get me to read this for awhile now... I guess it is time that I read it. (Actually, if it is as good as you and Ashlee say I need to wait until I have 3 days I can ignore my life!).

Dandi said...

I loved it too. The second one is really good too. Jessi and I are reading "The Help" right now also. Happy Reading!

Stephanie said...

I knew it was your kind of book... savage, brutal, dog-eat-dog j/k.

I am glad you loved it too. Sam says you better read the second one fast because he will be finished with the first one in the next day or two and he will want it back.

Unknown said...

I've the 2 hunger games books that are out and am anxiously awaiting the 3rd. I also just read the help. I like the author of the hunger games--she has a cute young adult (maybe even younger) series called Gregor the Overlander that I loved.

Cami said...

I've had this book on my nightstand for over a month now...untouched. I didn't know it was so good! I will be reading it tonight. Thanks for the kick in the butt. :)

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

Hey Friend....I'm in Bear Lake (home) and my brother was telling me about it. I'll have to check it out!

I'm in Bear Lake (home).. you can have your own hunter games here if you would like. :)

Hope you enjoying your summer..Oh yeah you will be having hot weather for at least 4 more months. :)

Take care.

Tiffani Mills said...

Haha I loved it too and yes I loved the second one more. I have told a few people I loved it and got the - isn't it for teenagers! So I figured I wouldn't brag about my simple mind- but glad I am in good company!! haha

my mudda' calls me jack said...

loved hunger games and loved the help. good reading.enjoy!!!

*

..

Map

Blog Archive